We’ve likely all heard the story about the three wise men bringing gifts of gold, Frankincense and myrrh to celebrate the birth of Christ. Besides its role in the story of Christmas, Frankincense also has some amazing health benefits, especially when it comes to boosting your immune system and supporting your emotional and spiritual health. For all you beautiful people out there suffering with inflammatory and autoimmune conditions, this is a particularly beneficial natural treatment. But, the benefits of this precious essential oil are good for anyone who wants to feel better.
It’s interesting to note that the “wise” men brought the “king” gifts to support his health and emotional/spiritual well-being. We could deduce from this that the wisdom they wished to share had its base in health and happiness. This holiday season, you can make this powerful and effective natural remedy a gift to yourself to boost your health and mental/emotional/spiritual well-being.
What is Frankincense?
Frankincense is an essential oil. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for their therapeutic and healing properties as part of the practice of aromatherapy. They come from leaves, stems or roots of plants that are known for their health properties.
Frankincense, sometimes referred to as olibanum, is a common type of essential oil used in aromatherapy that can offer a variety of health benefits, including helping relieve chronic stress and anxiety, reducing pain and inflammation, boosting immunity, and even fighting cancer.
Frankincense is a resin that comes from the dried sap of the Boswellia sacra tree, most commonly found in Somalia, and the Arabian Peninsula. It’s one of the few deciduous trees that is able to grow in extremely dry climates, and tends to thrive in environmental conditions that are considered harsh for most other trees.
What are the benefits of Frankincense?
1. Anti-inflammatory: Frankincense can help relieve joint and muscle pains when massaged into the skin around the affected area, or by inhaling the scent of the oil when diffused.
2. Supports healthy digestion: This time of year, when you’re eating more than you normally would, and enjoying foods you might not normally eat, try a few drops of Frankincense essential oil in water (be sure to use pure essential oils and follow the instructions carefully). This can relieve symptoms associated with indigestion, gas and bloating, as well as support long term health in your entire digestive system.
3. Reduces Stress: Many essential oils are great for calming the mind, but frankincense is especially known for its ability to help with visualization. This is great for manifesting your dreams, deepening your own spiritual connection, as well as supporting your ability to connect with others!
4. Immune Booster: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, Frankincense can open up your respiratory tract, help reduce phlegm, and also help fight off colds and flu that might otherwise develop in your body.
5. Disinfectant: That’s right! Frankincense can be used instead of chemical cleaning agents to help you disinfect your home from germs that may cause those pesky colds this time of year when you’re hosting people to celebrate the holidays.
How can I get started?
You can use Frankincense by inhaling the oil, or applying it to your body to be absorbed through your skin. To use on your skin, mix a drop or two with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, olive oil, or a mild, unscented body lotion. It’s widely believed that the oil communicates with the limbic system of the brain, which is known to influence the nervous system. Only a few drops are needed, and in larger quantities, it can become toxic.
When purchasing essential oils, avoid oils that say “fragrance oil” or “perfume oil” as these are usually synthetic and don’t provide the desired health benefits. Instead, look for oils that say “pure essential oil” or “100% essential oil” for the highest quality essential oils.
Here is a DIY recipe for Frankincense:
DIY Frankincense Body Butter
- Combine the shea butter, coconut oil, and vitamin E in your mixing bowl.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to blend the mixture.
- Scrape the sides and then whip the ingredients until they double in volume.
- Add in the essential oil and whip another 10 seconds.
- Pour or spoon into the jar.
As you enjoy your holiday celebrations this year with family and friends, consider giving yourself the “wise” gift of incorporating Frankincense into your health regimen so you can stay physically healthy, manage your emotions, and deepen your spiritual connections with yourself and others.
Let me know what kinds of results you have. Leave any questions or comments below and we can all learn and benefit from each other. Have a wonderful, peaceful week.